Kipper Central’s UKIP Leadership Coverage: In Review
Here at Kipper Central, we strive to be a connection between the UKIP members and the Leadership, and everyone in-between. That’s why we allowed you, our readers, to write about what you’ve made of the election so far and why we gave candidates the opportunity to promote their message outside of the mainstream media where it won’t be twisted. If you think we did a good job, please help us out by donating here!
I am extremely proud of our live coverage of conference, where we announced the leadership results over an hour before the official announcement (we published completely accurate results at 15:43). We received the information from an anonymous source, and we unsure how they learned the results.
Articles by candidates
I am proud to say that 6 of the 7 candidates wrote articles on Kipper Central:
- Aidan Powlesland (If Your Eyes Are Not on the Gutter But on the Stars, Please Vote For Me)
- Anne Marie Waters (This isn’t fascism. This is commitment to liberty and democracy)
- David Kurten (UKIP’s Future and the British Renaissance)
- Henry Bolton (The Best Way That I Can Continue To Serve My Country Is To Serve UKIP as the Party’s leader)
- Jane Collins (The Need For a Strong UKIP to Hold the Political Class to Account is More Important Than Ever)
- John Rees-Evans (UKIP – Don’t fear ideas! Instead, fear those who fear ideas.)
However, I am saddened that Peter Whittle decided not to write for us. He was contacted a number of times, online and in person. However, Nick Harris, a member of his campaign team, did write for us instead (UKIP is lost on the political map, but I firmly believe that Peter Whittle can steer it to success).
All candidates were invited to write as many articles as they liked, however only Jane Collins wrote more than one.
Articles by supporters
Of course, many voters wanted to hear what their fellow members have to say about the election and it goes without saying that rather a lot of members had strong opinions on the race which they wanted to share. Kipper Central sought to give each and every member a platform to vent, rant, boast, moan, fantasise or plot about UKIP and the leadership candidates. The following candidates had at least one article written in support of them by a member:
- Anne Marie Waters (Anne Marie Waters – Our Best Hope for Education)
- David Kurten (Kurten for Leader: Curtains for Cultural Marxism)
- Henry Bolton (James Carver MEP: Why I’m Backing Henry Bolton for UKIP Leader)
- Jane Collins (Star Anderton: Why I’m Backing Jane Collins & UKIP United)
- John Rees-Evans (10 Reasons Why John Rees-Evans Should be UKIP Leader)
- Peter Whittle (UKIP is lost on the political map, but I firmly believe that Peter Whittle can steer it to success).
Sadly, we didn’t have any articles in support of Aidan but with only 85 voters nationally, it was rather difficult to find anyone who wanted to write anything.
We received over 150,000 views during the leadership contest, of which a huge number were relating to the leadership election. September was by far the best month in Kipper Central’s history, with over 80,000 views in just the one month.
We want to thank all of our readers because this couldn’t have happened without you reading and sharing what we do. We’re here because of you and your support keeps us going.
Nobody’s perfect. Believe it or not, even we’re not! We had planned to publish a ‘100 word bid’ piece which had 100 words from each of the candidates, but we contacted candidates too late and only a few got back to us. We also wanted to do an informal interview where we found out a little more about the personalities and non-political bits of the candidates’ lives, but we never found time to do so. Next election, with your help, we’ll be able to do all of that and more!
How you can help us
Of course, the main thing you can do to help out is to keep reading us, and share our articles. Just one share on Facebook or Twitter can make a huge difference.
However, if you’d like to do more than that, there’s a few other ways you can help out:
- Write for us: you can apply here and we’ll get back to you soon. We are always on the look-out for new writers (whether you’re a professional or a first-timer) so please do apply!
- Donate to us: we have put a lot of time and money into Kipper Central to make it what it is today, and donations from our readers will help to keep the project going forever! You can donate here.
- Promote to Facebook groups/pages: if you are admin of any Facebook pages or a member of any Facebook groups relating to UKIP or politics, please please share our posts there! These methods of sharing can get us thousands of views!
- Tell your branch: many UKIP members don’t know about Kipper Central, so if you bring us up at your branch meetings, we’ll be able to reach out to thousands more members!
How did we do?
Your thoughts are the most important thing here – we want to know what you made of our coverage!