The White Poppy Exposed: Nothing More Than Greedy Political Opportunism From the Left

Reece Coombes

Reece is the founder and owner of Kipper Central. As a 16-year-old member of UKIP, he campaigned strongly to leave the EU and regularly attends meetings and conferences. Reece was the South West Young Independence (YI) Regional Chairman and was in charge of the finances, operation and promotion of YI in the South West. Reece is also the YI Secretary at his local UKIP branch and as such sits on the committee.

1. Anonymous says:

I suggest you remove this post and do further research before creating ludicrous political propaganda again. I hope your warmongering politicians are as you are about the death of civilians.

2. Ian edwards says:

Interesting article though I’m neither red or white poppy myself. Many Brits and others have died (uniformed and civilian, us and them) due to unnecessary politically contrived wars and (to me) sometimes ghastly methods of prosecution such that I find that the poppy appeal somehow seems to sanctify or legitimise, and that’s a hard thing to say I realise given the losses to patriotic families caught up in war, yet ‘remembering’ sadly does not appear to reduce the number of these political acts and the resultant growing industrial accident list following each implementation. Nor am I pacifist, not fighting back against gun toting bullies who bear down on my kith and kin and property is not my way. I’m therefore a ‘red AND white’ poppy man. Red to remember the fallen, I’m lucky that all my relatives that have fought managed to somehow survive, and White to state that we should never fire the first shot and should seek to avoid conflict where at all possible – including no political contriving of it on some false pretext or other whilst paying pure lip service to peace – whilst so doing. And where possible use force only in direct proportion to force used against us, and in that I include the nuclear weapon choice if necessary. Happy to debate. I know I represent a minority here but it is not a Red vs White issue for me, I represent a shade of grey that would be represented by a Red and White poppy. I don’t promote it as it would take some financial backing, and would likely be a hard sell, especially amongst politicians who appear to enjoy all kinds of wars including the shooting ones, but that doesn’t mean this third choice shouldn’t exist, and one day I’ll bet it will materially exist as well, alongside the other option/s. Perhaps it may be a question of waiting for the right timing.

3. John Wright says:

It hardly surprises me that, particularly some Labour supporters deem it necessary to emphasise their bigotry & anti social beliefs when all that is required from them & everybody else is simply attending a commemorative occasion to honour the far too many who have died serving this Country! There should be no political inferences, since people from the whole World over from Sikh to Buddhist to Hindu to Muslim to Anglo Saxon & Jew plus dozens of other faiths, gave their lives seeking the end of tyranny. The white poppy has no place in this arena since it does not represent the true meaning of commemoration, but seeks to fund it’s own views & aspirations by selling these white poppies, simply to provide a salary for just six people?

• Mick Bolton says:

Well said John!

• Anonymous says:

The red poppy symbolises the British dead and the white symbolises everyone else’s dead. Are you claiming to not want to commemorate those French, American, Canadian, Herman, Austrian, Indian, Australian, New Zealand, Spanish, etc. Dead who also died protecting freedom? If this isn’t a political thing then why seclude other countries from rememberance. All countries have the right to be remembered. You have no right calling yourself a patriot if you don’t agree.

Put simply, because at heart I am a simple fellow, the red poppy was started due to the awful waste of a generation in WW1 and anyone that saw the poppy display at the Tower of London, will understand the vastness of that loss. That loss was not enough, and in just 20 years, it all started up again for WW2, so in my opinion, war solves very little.
    I come from a strange family. My Grandpa was a conscientious objector in WW1 and ‘Thou shalt not kill’ was for him an absolute that he took to our market square, on his soap box as early as 1912. He was a lay-preacher for Baptist Union. My Father heard Chamberlain on the radio with his ‘Consequently we ARE at war with Germany’ and he ran to Dover Hall and signed up for the RAF. He was sent to North Africa, Ceylon, India, Normandy, Belgium, Holland and Germany. He was sent as a Senior NCO to witness Belson Camp.
    Two very different men. One with a firm belief, which he had to pay for, from a Co-Op Manager to a Farm Labourer. The other, subject to being known as the Son of a conscientious objector through his school days, did his duty on a grand scale.
    Which one was right ? Which one would you respect ? I would never wear a white poppy. I always wear a red poppy. I sincerely respect those who gave their lives, so that I have never had to go to war. At remembrance, I do not believe there is any place for white poppies, only red are correct. For those who buy white, please refrain from showing them during remembrance, Thank you. I do remembrance on behalf of my late Father, to one of his school mates who joined the RAF Bomber Command and was lost over Holland and body never found. His stone is in our local cemetery in the war graves section. Some would say I’m daft for doing it. ……….

5. John Carins says:

It’s time for reciprocal action. When Corbyn step up to lay his wreath at the Cenotaph all the assembled veterans should turn their backs.

• MIKE MAUNDER says:

I know what you mean John, but we saw Blair and did nothing. Wreaths are laid by the good, bad and ugly, and those of us that want remembrance, must concentrate on that fact.