John Bickley: UKIP Leigh Branch Report

Abigail Eatock

I joined UKIP as I believe that only UKIP are committed to providing true and fair democracy to Britain. As well as being a Politics and International Relations student at the University of York, I was also Chair of the UKIP society in York, as well as the Media Officer for YI UKIP Students. I was the Events Manager for the Peter Whittle leadership campaign. I am also an intern for The Bow Group, writing on UK and international security affairs.

1. John Bickley says:

For the record my permission to be recorded or for such recording to be publicly disseminated was sought. Basic courtesy, never mind avoiding breach of the data protection act should have come into play.

I spoke openly at what I thought was private branch meeting; I’d do the same at any other private branch meeting, however guest speakers’ permission must be sought before their speeches or comments are (i) recorded or (ii) publicly disseminated, otherwise guest speakers may be put off attending private meetings if the subject matter is controversial and their comments are recorded behind their back, without their knowledge or consent for public consumption.

2. Abigail Eatock says:

Hi John, I was informed permission was granted and the livestream was allowed to go ahead. Sorry for the issues caused.

3. Barrie says:

I have just seen the twitter feed for this meeting and it is mostly in favour of Henry. Differing somewhat to this version. Coming from an activist who campaigned for Peter it is no surprise.

4. Abigail Eatock says:

Barrie. this report was written in a non biased way. It was a report written whilst watching the livestream and only reflects what was said by John and the members present. If you watch the livestream, you can see none of the report is an opinion piece and merely reflects what was said.

COMMENTS FROM A VERY ORDINARY UKIP MEMBER: It is a fact that the views of common members can be overlooked by those who have attained some position or rank in the Party. They do that at their, and the Party’s peril !
    Whether a speech is recorded or videoed should be cleared ahead of the speech, and this should be put to the audience for agreement. I always consider that if I say anything, it can be recorded, and if that becomes embarrassing, then would it not be better to remain silent ?
    UKIP’s NEC is made up of individuals, with individual views. They have to accept that it is impossible to please all of the people, all of the time. Some give and take will always be required, and in some areas, a wish held by a NEC member may well turn into a wish, of never having been elected !
    The NEC’s unified view to dismiss Henry Bolton, was the correct decision. Should the membership vote down this NEC decision, then this member will end membership. I would not wish to be a member of a Party lead by Mr. Bolton as I have some position and pride left to me. IN HOPE OF GOOD SENSE !

6. Rob McWhirter says:

Well said, Mike!

7. Paul Richardson says:

Must have made an impression Mr Bickley. Two members resigned on the spot.

• John Bickley says:

Not my fault. Both came up to me later and thanked me for being frank, even though we didn’t always agree. It was clear that they have been looking to call it quits for some time. However, both said that if we can elect a leader with vision and the experience to lead UKIP they’ll be back