Vicky D: Veganism And Militant Activists

Marv Hollingworth

Kipper Central Deputy Editor

1. Jim Stanley says:

While being a dedicated carnivore, I do wonder about this vegan agenda. I do not with to see ANY sentient being injured in cruel ways. Our meat is humanely despatched in hygenic conditions under government inspection. However, what controls are in place for wheat or orher crops. Studies as long ago as the 60s, indicate that when a flower stalk is cut, a measurable electrical nerve trigger is recorded, the plant effectively screams with pain. This is scientific fact. My meat is killed without pain so my animal welfare conscience is clear, but what if the vegan, how can you eat that salad, that leaf, knowing how much pain and suffering your selfish need to eat or or are your convictions that strong you will just die from lack of food. You eat what you please, I have a steak for tonight!

I must be a terrible non p.c. person, because I am now going to cook my non halal steak with onions and potatoes, for my total enjoyment. For those who have vegan tendencies, I say good luck to them, and isn’t it wonderful that we can all make up our own minds on this. I will raise my glass of red wine in salute to vegans everywhere !

3. J.L.Kay says:

To Marv Hollingworth
    Thanks for your well-argued and balanced article about vegans and veganism. So-called ‘Vegans’ who condemn the eating of meat, fish, dairy products etc, should note that human beings have been eating meat for thousands of years and without meat it is doubtful if the human race could have survived. Jesus did not condemn those who were pursuing their living at the Sea of Galilee. cf. “I shall make you fishers of men.”

Protein from meat and the nutrients and vitamins from dairy products are necessary to promote a balanced and healthy diet. As are vitamins from fish oils.
    Vegans want to promote something that has never existed in the history of man, except when it has been forced on him, by wars, famines etc. The exclusion of meat, fish and dairy products from his diet.

As has been pointed out, British livestock is kept in some of the healthiest conditions in the world, and this is reinforced by an effective inspection system. British vegans ought to examine the living conditions of animals in other countries, such as India, Pakistan, China, Korea, Vietnam, before criticising British farmers. The reason that animals are bred in captivity for human consumption is precisely that, to provide humans with food. There are not enough nuts and berries to go round in order for people to live on this ideal vegan diet.

The irony of the whole situation is that vegans, along with other animal rights groups, value animal lives above those of human beings, hence the threats to murder farmers and their families. I have asked vegans why we should not eat dairy products and what is cruel about taking excess milk from cows for human consumption. If the cows were not milked regularly they would become ill and die. In the case of chicken eggs, if the eggs are taken before they are a viable chick, no harm is done.

The problem with committed vegans is that each time a sensible question is asked about feeding the human population, a ridiculous answer is given containing questionable logic and often pure nonsense.

It seems to me that ‘vegans’ are just one more politically correct minority group who wish to dictate to the majority of us about what we should and shouldn’t do. They are just one more manifestation of that dangerous group of self-righteous liberal Fascists who tend to inhabit Leftist organisations like the BBC. They are very dangerous people and like other minority-interest groups, are just looking for something or someone to be offended by to justify their existence. Am I right or am I right?

4. Informed says:

These paper shoes made from murdered trees don’t hold up too well in the rain, but it beats polluting the planet with discarded plastic footwear or skinning the arse off a cow.

Cobblers!
    said Zola Budd.

5. J.L.Kay says:

To Zola Budd
    Sorry, I don’t understand your comment.
    Kind regards
    J.L.Kay

6. J.L.Kay says:

Dear Zola Budd
    I know who you are (at least the real Zola Budd). Leather ones are much better than paper and polish up well, especially if you use a brush made from badger hair. I used to get mine from Dolcis or Lilley and Skinner but now have to make do with Samuel Windsor.