JOHN BICKLEY: Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely

1. David Allen says:

John Bickley is a member of the NEC, the body that appoints the treasurer, he is the treasurer, so effectively appoints himself, whilst the NEC also have the role of oversight, also of themselves. For him to speak of abuse of authority is ironic.

• Rob McWhir says:

“Effectively appoints himself”. With one out out of fifteen? This is hardly Dunny-on-the-Wold… 🤓

• Ben says:

If HB has designs on becoming the next Kim Jong-Il, presumably you are looking forward to being the next Chairman Mao?

I note that you and “Barrie” never seem to address any of the actual concerns raised about HB. Does he tell you to be vague when he sends you here to “defend” him? Why exactly can’t he deign to post here and on UkipDaily himself?

He is such an authoritarian that I would not want him as Prime Minister, which I never thought I’d say about a UKIP Leader.

• John Bickley says:

You clearly have no understanding how the party works David. The officers appointed by the NEC do not necessarily have to be NEC members. When I joined the NEC in 2014 the Gen Sec, Party Sec, Chairman & Party Director were not NEC members when first appointed to their roles. None of the aforementioned functions have a vote, other than the Chairman’s which is a casting one.

Membership of the NEC is a moving feast which means new blood is always joining. Your claim that I appoint myself is cloud cuckoo stuff; the NEC appoint the treasurer (and the candidate(s ) have to leave the meeting whilst their suitability is discussed). The NEC can get rid of party officers (bar the chairman) whenever they like.

I’m fed up now hearing about this lemon. Get shot of him this month !

3. Brenda Rattle says:

Bolton is totally unfit to be a member of UKIP, let alone lead it. I agree entirely that he is a dictator – in keeping with his libdem beliefs, which, in my opinion, are neither liberal nor democratic. The sooner he goes the better and then the rest of us can begin the challenging task of rebuilding the party after all the damage he has done.

Kind regards.

4. Silvie Steven says:

Perhaps the Lib Dems will have him back, if he ever left in the first place.

5. perpetual says:

David Allen any committee elects its own officers. Do you really want a ballot for each position on the NEC? I applaud your loyalty, or sympathise with your lack of understanding.

6. Informed says:

Isn’t it true that the NEC currently holds ninety percent of the power and the leader has hardly any of the remaining ten percent?
    How is a leader to function?
    “UKIP is a libertarian party, not a dictatorial one.” Hmm… then why is it some NEC members want more power taking away the ability of a leader to lead?
    The lovely Elizabeth Jones (interviewed by her clown nephew) openly stating in some bazaar ‘munga bunga’ (whatever that means) mock trial she wants the NEC to have even MORE power to scupper up the chances of the next UKIP leader after Bolton, and the next, and the next….

Shame on her and the dictats.

• John Bickley says:

You the members have indeed given the NEC (your reps) a great deal of power, however as the NEC is chaired by the leader’s appointed chairman and leader is also an NEC member there a fair balance of checks.

Don’t forget the NEC wants to back a successful leader, as it did for years for Nigel – we protected his back on numerous occasions, which I think he sometimes forgets.

7. Derek Walker says:

John Bickley. In your humble opinion!

Don’t make me laugh!

8. COLIN HUSSEY says:

I cannot for the life of me understand David Allen’s logic. He is anti NEC, yet he stood for election to that body himself. Explain that please…………

9. Steve Bater says:

As Treasurer John, can you tell us how much money this EGM is costing UKIP?