UCU Strike Action: A Betrayal of Students

Abigail Eatock

I joined UKIP as I believe that only UKIP are committed to providing true and fair democracy to Britain. As well as being a Politics and International Relations student at the University of York, I was also Chair of the UKIP society in York, as well as the Media Officer for YI UKIP Students. I was the Events Manager for the Peter Whittle leadership campaign. I am also an intern for The Bow Group, writing on UK and international security affairs.

1. Russell Hicks says:

That’s disgraceful. Do you have any plans to protest?

2. Abigail Eatock says:

Hi Russel, unfortunately the strikers have all the funding of the UCU, we as students have non, and the university nor the student union will help us protest against the strikes. We have no options other than continuing to email our vice chancellor and administrators who either dont respond or dont answer our questions. We have managed to get a petition going to get compensation but its being ignored

This is a pathetic state of affairs and no error ! The knock-on to your degree must be gut wrenching in extreme !

4. Silvie Steven says:

This is appalling, and as you say, shows just how little thought of the students entered the minds of those who are striking. The benefits they have compared to other professions should make them grateful and not money grabbing. I wish you well in your attempt to get compensation, but that will not help you now as in the short term the only people that could do that are the ones who are striking and putting your futures and your hard work at risk. Have you thought of crowdfunding if no one else will help you with the costs

5. John Francis says:

Abigail,
    I hope you are able to overcome these unnecessary obstacles to you succeeding at University and obtaining your degree.
    However, i am extremely heartened that an obviously talented young student such as yourself, is working towards a better future for all of us by being actively involved with UKIP.
    The very best of luck to you and i am sure you will be a great success in your chosen path.

6. Chris Harlow says:

I’m afraid this is classic trade union thuggery. They are interested only in their personal circumstances, and not the slightest bit interested in the fate of those who suffer the effects of their (in)action.