OPINION: How We Allow Animals To Be Treated Says Alot About What Is Happening To Us…

1. Pamela Preedy says:

Every civilised and humane person in this country needs to reject halal meat and refuse to buy it. It needs a concerted campaign to convince people they should insist on knowing the origin of the meat in shops, supermarkets and food products and if it is halal, boycott it. If money drives the market, businesses will soon realise that the majority opinion wins.
    The campaign should also strive to convince politicians that allowing halal slaughter is NOT a vote-winner and promise to ban it. Of course, the only party to promise to do just that right now is Anne Marie’s For Britain Party. I will never vote for any other.

• Jake Bennett says:

Pamela All ritual slaughter should be banned. The Jewish kosher method is no different to halal.
      Germany has a ban on halhal but allows kosher slaughter.
      Either Germany will have to allow ritual slaughter for all or none sooner or later.
      In the UK UKIP should have a policy of banning all religious slaughter of meat – no exceptions.

2. Ceri Jayes says:

Take a look at Gerard Batten’s EFDD report The Barbarity of Ritual Slaughter of Animals and What Can Be Done About It.
    I hope to relaunch a Petition Parliament on this topic when it has been approved by the Petition Committee this week. Please help me ensure it reaches the 100,000 signatories this time.

I AM A CARNIVORE , and without wish to make a change. My enjoyment of a sirloin steak with fried onions and veg, is easy for me to prepare, and with a good red wine is one of my joys in life.
    I am also a domestic animal lover, with no wish to inflict pain on any creature. This is why I inquire from the Butcher, if his meats are from a proper abattoir, rather than Halal, as that system is unnecessary in the extreme, and certainly not wanted by me !

• Brenda Rattle says:

Mike

I echo your sentiments. I am indeed fortunate to have a farm butcher about 20 minutes drive from my home who has his own independent licensed slaughterhouse so he can assure me that all animals are fully stunned before slaughter. He raises his own beef and lamb. Pork and poultry sourced from other local farms. The produce is delicious.

As an aside, I also enjoy a sirloin steak, or fillet if I’m feeling generous, but prefer it with chips, mushrooms, peas and tomatoes.
      Bon appetit!

Kind regards.

• MIKE MAUNDER says:

Thanks Brenda. I envy your access to a real farm butcher. My late wife had been in Catering at all levels during her life, and I was spoiled rotten for meals ! When cancer took her from me, I had to get familiar with the kitchen, ( as well as gardening ), and I am only now getting beyond the application of heat, to food ! Cooking, Hmmm ! ?

• Brenda Rattle says:

Hi Mike

The butcher is in Bedfordshire, just a short hop from J13 of the M1 if that is of any use to you. In the meantime, I have put up a comment further down with a link to a website that gives meat plant numbers and whether stunned or not.

I like to cook and both my husband and myself enjoy mainly plain but fresh food although I do conjure up something fancy as the mood takes me.

If you want any tips or straightforward recipes give me a shout – just ask Kipper Central for my email and I will give them permission to pass it to you.

Kind regards.

4. Pat Bryant says:

I spent most of my life in farming – I always tried to give our animals the best possible life and want them to have as humane a death as possible.
    I do not eat Foi Gras and would not inflict the suffering on any animal. Similarly I would not want to use any make-up tested on animals – but you must remember that if we do not test medicines on animals there will be no animal medicines. Similarly if nobody ate meat then farmers would not breed them. Sheep, cattle and pigs do not breed in the wild in the UK , Those lovely animals which you see in the fields are bred by farmers so that you can have the benefit of milk and meat. If you stop wanting the milk and meat then farmers will no longer breed them. Without animals the nature of the countryside would change radically. Grass would not be required – out countryside would resemble Kansas – one vast prarie.

I wonder how many people would welcome that?

5. Steve Bater says:

I have stopped shopping anywhere where halal meat is sold. I have also stopped going to restaurants and cafes they sell halal products such as Subway. I was quite surprised that UKIP endorse halal and have no intention of banning it.

6. Chris Dark says:

I already avoid meat products in outlets where halal meat is known to be served; I was brought up to eat most food so have no problems with choosing vegetarian options. We do need protein in our diets, though and it’s tricky to get the daily requirements from plant material unless you’re going to ingest large amounts. Unless the Almighty changes our digestive systems via evolution. So yes, caring-farming, a good life for the animals and utmost consideration for their welfare at life’s end. Re battery hens, many kind folk are re-homing thousands as domestic pets, via various schemes, when they’ve served their “time”.

7. Ceri Jayes says:

The problem is how do you know if the meat is halal? The hindquarters of cattle killed by halal method is not ‘regarded’ as halal, for example. We need to have meat and poultry and the by-products labelled clearly with method of slaughter so we can make an informed choice on whether we wish to buy it. Cigarette producers are obliged to feature a graphic picture of diseased lungs on the fag packets to warn of the damage smoking can do to your health. Let’s have something similar to indicate the method of slaughter.
    I hear that ritual slaughter of animals and the UKIP policy on this is being reviewed. Have you looked up the paper that Gerard Batten has written on this which I referenced yesterday? Please do. I believe that UKIP policy is about to change. We already have Gerard’s EFDD document to campaign with. And by the way, I love eating meat too… nothing beats a rump steak and baked spud and mushrooms… preferably at a Wetherspoons pub on a Tuesday night.

8. Janice says:

UKIP does not endorse non stun slaughter

• Steve Bater says:

UKIP is definitely pro Halal and advocates it in their rules. They really do favour non stun slaughter and I had a memo from Lexdrum House saying UKIP are pro Halal and they have no intentions of banning it. Just send a memo to UKIP head office asking them and you will receive a letter back saying what I am saying.

• Ceri Jayes says:

Steve. The UKIP manifesto 2015 states. ..’Forbid Jewish and Muslim methods of slaughter being carried out by unqualified individuals in unregulated premises, and deal severely with such transgressions….Insist all meat labelling identifies the method of slaughter…’ Of course Lexdrum House will refer to this document in answer to your queries.
        However, as I posted earlier I understand that UKIP policy on these will be discussed at NEC. It’s next meeting this Sunday. I have every toe and finger crossed that time can be found to discuss this. I know that the majority of my branch members put animal welfare issues high on their list of priorities and during the Diane James hustings in 2016 when discussing Unique Selling Points on which UKIP should focus ritual slaughter was high on the list suggested along with PR.

9. Paula Walters says:

This is a response I received from the Co-op
    The Co-op’s own-brand meat comes from animals that have been stunned before slaughter without exception, meaning they are immediately rendered insensible to pain. This is a basic requirement of the Red Tractor scheme, which certifies all of our own-brand meat and poultry, including that used as an ingredient.

We do sell some pre-stunned Halal meat, but as the slaughter process is exactly the same with respect to the animal’s welfare, we do not label these products as Halal.
    So there we have it, we have no idea whether we are buying halal.
    I then had a very interesting conversation with John Robinson from Co-op head office, the only supermarket that has actually contacted me to discuss instead of the usual fob off mail, “our meat has been stunned” blah blah. I have been changing stance with the letters that I write stating that as a Christian I am unable to eat “religiously slaughtered” meat. I have suggested to John that by labelling religiously slaughtered meat, stunned or otherwise the Co-op would lead the way and would gain massive support. The publicity could lead to other supermarkets following suit, effectively furthering our cause by boycott of meat from halal abattoirs. John is passing on my concerns to the people who make the decisions in the Co-op. This could be a breakthrough so can I ask you to contact as many people as possible to write to the Co-op. While we continue to push for a complete ban, labelling will be a start as a way of informing the public. Boycott would then do the rest..

• Brenda Rattle says:

Sorry Paula but Red Tractor cannot be relied upon to be non-halal.

Kind regards.

• Ceri Jayes says:

Brenda. Thank you for your kind comments and suggestions. I will indeed ask Boycott Halal to promote my petition when it has been approved by the Parliament Petitions Committee. I am clearing the decks to be able to give it a big push as soon as it is launched to reach the 100,000 signatures and a debate in the House of Commons as soon as possible. Judging by the enormous interest that articles on this topic attract both on this and UKIP Daily there will be help forthcoming from many UKIP members and supporters to spread the word and to help to reach the target.
        One of the enormous benefits of Brexit is that UK could stop the live export of animals for fattening and slaughter. Theresa Villiers Cons MP has already had the second reading of her Bill in the HoC. What would be devastating is if we manage to stop ritual slaughter in the UK but our animals are shipped overseas for ritual slaughter and then shipped back. This article shows that not all farmers are as concerned for the welfare of their animals as we might hope that they are.