BREXIT EUROVISION: 56% Back Britain Leaving Song Contest
YouGov has found in a new poll that 56% of Britons would back pulling out of the Eurovision Song Contest. The poll found that people broadly split along Leave/Remain lines in their attitude with 2016’s Remain voters, 65 per cent in favour of remaining in the contest while 35 per cent wanted to quit it.
Of Leave votes, 21 per cent wanted to take part while 76 per cent didn’t.
Only 9% of those polled watch the contest for the musical content:
The most common reason for watching (26%) is the amusing commentary – provided since 2009 by Graham Norton and prior to that by Terry Wogan. One in five Brits (19%) are viewing the show to make fun of it, while a mere 9% will be watching because they actually like the music.”
It managed to provide a moment of levity in an otherwise tense Commons this week with Michael Fabricant, an ardent Brexiteer, asked Matt Hancock, the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport;
“Does my right honourable friend share my dismay that Brexit does not mean that we are leaving the Eurovision Song Contest?”
Britain finished last nights contest third from the bottom.