MANCHESTER BOMBING: Don’t Look Back In Anger

Abigail Eatock

I joined UKIP as I believe that only UKIP are committed to providing true and fair democracy to Britain. As well as being a Politics and International Relations student at the University of York, I was also Chair of the UKIP society in York, as well as the Media Officer for YI UKIP Students. I was the Events Manager for the Peter Whittle leadership campaign. I am also an intern for The Bow Group, writing on UK and international security affairs.

1. Chris Dark says:

I don’t think Don’t Look Back in Anger is a very appropriate phrase. People SHOULD be angry that it was ever allowed to happen here in the first place. No it doesn’t bring the dead back…but if anger isn’t used in order to bring about the changes required to rid this country of the pestilence we have, then what other emotion will drive the chariot? There is such a thing as righteous anger. We may have been taught to “love our enemies” but government has gone the whole hog in providing them with near-untouchable status. I don’t love them THAT much. Anger isn’t always bad.

• Abigail Eatock says:

It’s appropriate considering thousands of us sang that a few days after the attack. As a community that song brought us together.
      If you read the whole article you will see that we are all aware of what needs to be done.
      The phrase as you put it is the name of a song by one of Manchester’s most famous bands, a song we all grew up with.

• Pamela Preedy says:

Absolutely agree, Chris. I am still bloody angry about every one of the muslim attacks on our country and I always will be. ‘Pestilence’ is the correct word to describe the suffering imposed on us by incompetent, stupid politicians letting in an alien ideology for the last 70 years and allowing to fester into a danger to our democracy and freedom.

2. Abigail Eatock says:

The title choice was a reference to the song we all sang in the days after the attacks, because it’s a song we grew up and with and was important to us.

Another thing, two people I knew died in the attacks, and as I mentioned my family and friends are all connected to at least one victim.
    So no, I didn’t write an article blaming people for what happened, I didn’t write an angry and insensitive article that would cause harm and upset to my loved ones.
    The article is heartfelt, it’s a touching tribute to my city and all of those who are still affected by the attacks.

3. John Francis says:

Abigail, we should always remember the victims of this outrage and also their bereaved families.
    If possible we should learn from it and it is positive to hear that Manchester now is much more aware of safety and security.
    However, i also believe that we as a Country tend to ignore one vital fact in all of this.
    We have living among us a significant minority of people who literally hate this Country, hate us and everything that we hold dear.
    In this present day and age it seems unpopular to point out some uncomfortable facts that face us.
    It is right that we remember and treasure the memories of the victims of atrocities like Manchester.
    But we cannot be selective in the lessons we learn from them.
    Oasis were a brilliant band who did indeed produce songs and music that will live long in the memory.
    However they are not philosophers or great minds of our time.
    On occasion it is ok to look back in anger, if that anger is channelled constructively and important lessons learned.
    In my opinion we in this Country have a very dangerous enemy within, an enemy whose twisted view of life was directly responsible for the Manchester outrage and all the tragic deaths and suffering that followed.
    Like that fact or not, i believe it is a lesson we have to learn and to speak out about.

• Brenda Rattle says:

John

I think you have put this well especially in the last paragraph of your comment.

I agree entirely that anger is appropriate and can even be very productive if, as you so rightly point out, it is channelled constructively.

Kind regards.

• Pamela Preedy says:

Perfectly true, John. But of course, there are many fools and scoundrels who don’t want us to voice our justified anger and they use spurious laws to try to intimidate and shut us up. I will never stop speaking out against wickedness and betrayal. This country belongs to the British – real Britons, not enemies with British passports – and the majority needs to wake up and realise the unpalatable truth that they might have to fight to keep their freedom and their country. Refusing to vote for the fools and scoundrels who got us into this mess would be a good start.

4. Marilyn Catling says:

Thank you Abigail, for the strength it must have taken to write such a personal piece.
    We were all horrified by what you have described that night in Manchester, and what we saw unfold on our screens. I can absolutely believe you when you say that the whole city was traumatised, and a year on the city is still in shock. God bless you, and give you comfort.

5. Proper Angry Manc says:

As a manc I can say I am not as one with “everyone” resident in manchester, I dont like the diversity barriers, I dont like seeing armed police in the train station, I dont like getting into the arena having security like boarding a plane, I dont like being searched like a common street criminal just to get into a gig I paid £90 for a by a man with a large beard

Lucky for you that so many towns and cities have famous bands that came from there, because its likely quite a few songs are going to be used up before this Islamist cancer on our country is sorted out

yours